To reset paper trading on thinkorswim, click on the “on demand” tab and select “account info”. Then click on “reset paper trading account”.
It’s that simple. Thinkorswim, a trading platform by td ameritrade, is a popular choice for traders who want to practice with paper trading before diving into real trading. However, there may be times when you need to reset your paper trading account.
This could be for various reasons such as experimenting with new strategies or simply starting fresh. Whatever the reason may be, resetting your paper trading account is a straightforward process that can be done in just a few clicks. In this article, we will guide you on how to reset paper trading on thinkorswim.
Understand The Importance Of A Quick Reset
Why Resetting Your Thinkorswim Paper Trading App Is Necessary
Thinkorswim is a powerful and versatile trading platform that can help you hone your trading skills. However, as with any software, sometimes the app can cause problems. If you’re experiencing issues with your thinkorswim paper trading app, it may be time to consider resetting it.
Here’s why resetting your thinkorswim app is necessary:
- Fix glitches and bugs: A quick reset can help smooth out any kinks in the software and fix glitches or bugs that may be causing issues with the app.
- Refresh settings: Resetting your paper trading account can help refresh your settings, which can help improve performance and speed.
- Remove customizations: Sometimes, customizations to thinkorswim can create conflicts or errors that can be fixed by deleting them. A reset restores the app to its default state, which can help troubleshoot any problems.
- Improve overall experience: A thinkorswim reset can improve the overall experience of using the app by improving speed, reducing lags, and eliminating errors.
The Benefits Of A Quick Reset Versus Other Solutions
Rather than spending hours trying to troubleshoot and fix issues on your thinkorswim paper trading app, a quick reset can often solve the problem in just a few minutes. Here are some benefits to resetting your app quickly, as opposed to other solutions:
- Quick and easy: Resetting your app is a simple and fast solution that can save you time and headache compared to more complex troubleshooting methods.
- Less risky: Other solutions, such as uninstalling and reinstalling the app or deleting and rebuilding your account, can be risky and could result in the loss of saved settings or data. A reset is a low-risk solution that won’t cause any permanent damage to your account or software.
- Saves account history: When you reset thinkorswim, you won’t lose any of your account history or trades. Your account information will be preserved and you can continue trading as usual after the reset is complete.
Resetting your thinkorswim paper trading app can be a quick and easy solution to restore the software to its default settings and solve any issues you may be experiencing. Remember to regularly backup your account information and history to avoid data loss during a reset.
The Easy And Quick Steps To Reset Thinkorswim Paper Trading App
Have you ever experienced a problem with the paper trading platform on thinkorswim? Don’t worry; the good news is that you can reset it quickly! In this section, we’ll show you the easy and quick steps to reset the thinkorswim paper trading app.
Step 1: Log Out And Exit Thinkorswim
The first step in resetting your thinkorswim paper trading app is to log out of the platform and exit the application. Here’s how:
- Click on the “account” tab on the top-right corner of the platform and select “log out.”
- Close the thinkorswim application by clicking on the “x” icon on the top-right corner of the window.
Step 2: Find The “Thinkorswim” Folder
After you’ve logged out and exited thinkorswim, you’ll need to find the “thinkorswim” folder on your computer. Here’s how:
- Open the “file explorer” on your pc.
- Click on “this pc” or “my computer.”
- Navigate to the “c: ” drive.
- Click on the “program files (x86)” folder.
- Find the folder named “thinkorswim” and click on it to open it.
Step 3: Rename Your “Thinkorswim” Folder
The next step is to rename the “thinkorswim” folder that you located in the previous step. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the “thinkorswim” folder.
- Click on “rename.”
- Rename the folder to “old_thinkorswim” or any other name you prefer.
Step 4: Restart Your Pc
After you’ve renamed the “thinkorswim” folder, you’ll need to restart your computer. This will ensure that any cached data that could be causing problems with the paper trading app is cleared from your system.
Step 5: Log In And Reconnect To The Papermoney Server
The final step is to log back in to thinkorswim and reconnect to the papermoney server. Here’s how:
- Open the thinkorswim application.
- Log in to your account using your credentials.
- Click on the “monitor” tab on the top of the platform.
- Click on the “activity and positions” sub-tab.
- Click on the “paper trading” tab.
- Click “live trading” on the paper trading tab.
- Finally, click “paper trading” and select “launch” from the drop-down menu.
Congratulations! You have successfully reset your thinkorswim paper trading app. Enjoy your paper trading experience.
Troubleshooting Tips For Common Reset Issues
So you’ve decided to reset your thinkorswim app to tackle certain issues. While resetting the app is a common solution, it can lead to technical glitches, failed logins, and unexpected freezes. In this guide, we’ll provide troubleshooting tips for common reset issues.
Issue 1: Thinkorswim Keeps Crashing Or Freezing
If you find that your thinkorswim app keeps crashing or freezing, consider the following troubleshooting tips:
- Clear your app cache: Clearing the cache can help resolve minor issues in the app. To do this, click on the “setup” button, select “application settings,” and then click on “clear cached settings.”
- Restart thinkorswim: Restarting the app can also help fix the issue. If restarting the app doesn’t work, try restarting your computer.
- Check for updates: Make sure that your thinkorswim app is up to date. To check for updates, click on the “setup” button, select “application settings,” and then click on “check for updates.”
Issue 2: Thinkorswim Has Technical Glitches After Reset
If you experience technical glitches after resetting your thinkorswim app, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check your internet connection: A weak internet connection can lead to technical glitches in your app. Check your internet speed and connectivity.
- Disable custom scripts: Custom scripts can sometimes cause technical glitches in the app. To disable them, click on the “setup” button, select “application settings,” and then click on “active trader.” Finally, click on “disable custom scripts.”
- Contact support: If the issue persists, contact the thinkorswim support team for assistance.
Issue 3: Cannot Log In Or Reconnect To Papermoney Server
If you cannot log in to your thinkorswim app or reconnect to the papermoney server, consider the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check your login details: Make sure that you’re using the correct login details. Double-check your username and password.
- Check your internet connection: A weak internet connection can cause login issues. Check your internet speed and connectivity.
- Reset papermoney: To reset papermoney, click on the “account info” tab, select “trading tools,” and click on “reset paper trading account.”
These troubleshooting tips should help fix common reset issues in your thinkorswim app. If the issue persists, contact thinkorswim support for further assistance.
Precautions To Follow While Resetting Thinkorswim Paper Trading App
Resetting the thinkorswim paper trading app can be a lifesaver when you’re dealing with software glitches and malfunctions. However, resetting the app requires certain precautions to ensure that you don’t end up creating more issues for yourself. Here are the three precautions you should follow while resetting the thinkorswim paper trading app.
Precaution 1: Close Thinkorswim Before You Start Resetting The App
Before you begin resetting the thinkorswim paper trading app, it is important to make sure that the app is closed. If the app is running while resetting the app, there’s a chance that it might interfere with the process and cause you further problems.
To close the thinkorswim app, simply right-click on the app icon in your taskbar and select ‘close window’.
Precaution 2: Follow The Steps In Exact Order As Listed
Following the resetting process in the exact order that it is listed is crucial for success. One misstep in the process could cause undesired results, and you might be forced to repeat the process again. So, if you’re not confident about the resetting process, read and reread the steps in the order that they are listed to avoid any mistakes.
Here are the steps you need to follow to reset the thinkorswim paper trading app:
- Press win + e to open the file explorer
- Locate the main folder called “thinkorswim”
- Right-click on the folder and select “rename”
- Rename the folder to “thinkorswim.backup”
- Restart the application
Precaution 3: Be Careful While Renaming The App Folder To Avoid Accidental Deletion
Moving or deleting the wrong folder can lead to missing data or even software malfunction. Therefore, it’s essential to be cautious while renaming the thinkorswim app folder to avoid accidentally deleting the folder. Make sure to double-check the renamed folder name to avoid any mishaps.
Resetting the thinkorswim paper trading app can be an easy process if you follow the steps correctly and take the necessary precautions. Remember always to close the app before resetting, follow the steps in the right order, and rename the folder carefully to avoid any accidental deletion.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Reset Paper Trading Thinkorswim App
How Do I Reset My Paper Trading Thinkorswim App?
You can reset your paper trading thinkorswim app by clearing the cache and deleting the workspace folder in your computer’s memory.
What Happens When I Reset My Paper Trading Thinkorswim App?
Resetting your paper trading thinkorswim app removes all customizations, including saved settings, chart drawings and indicators.
Will Resetting My Paper Trading Thinkorswim App Delete My Account Information?
No, resetting your paper trading thinkorswim app will not delete your account information. You can still log in with your existing account details.
Why Is It Important To Reset My Paper Trading Thinkorswim App?
Resetting your paper trading thinkorswim app can help you troubleshoot any performance issues and make the app run more smoothly.
Resetting your paper trading thinkorswim app is an essential skill to have to avoid unwanted issues and glitches. With the guide we’ve provided, you can efficiently reset your app without worrying about any losses. The steps are simple and hassle-free, and with a little bit of practice, you’ll become a pro at it in no time.
The thinkorswim app is a powerful tool for investors and traders alike. By resetting it regularly, you can ensure that it operates at peak performance and with optimal speed. Don’t let any technical difficulties get in the way of your trading experience.
With the knowledge you’ve gained through this blog post, you’ll be able to reset your paper trading thinkorswim app with ease. Happy trading!